2.05.2011

to outline or not to outline

A typical drafting occurrence:

Writer: Who needs an outline? I don't. Obviously.

Draft: Really. Outlines are SO lame.

W: You are so smart, Draft! You know just where I need to –

*draft withers*

*writer gapes*

W: Why you gotta be so difficult, Draft? Way to blow yourself up. I can't have a story with nothing but body parts, can I?

D: CAN YOU?

*writer grabs hair*

W: Didn't I have an AWESOME idea last night? One that magically made you come together, Draft? Didn't I? WHY DON'T I REMEMBER IT?

*writer knocks brain against surfaces*

W: I have to write an outline, don't I?

*writer takes chocolate break*

W: You look so pretty, Draft. Did you do something with your hair this morning?

*draft stares*

W: What? Flattery WON'T get you to write yourself?

*writer sips tea* *reads book* *darts glances at Haughty Draft*

W: I am writing the CRAP out of you, Outline. You will BOW to me.

*maniacal tapping sounds*

*outline cowers* *mutters*

W: I'M not a Crazy Writer. YOU are.

*writer sips* *hits keys* *uses many Kanye caps*

W: Wow, Outline. You were so effortless. Why didn't I do this earlier?

*outline stares*

W: You're bullet-pointed, Outline. I'll come back to you tomorrow.

*writer stares* *sips*

W: I have to write you out NOW, don't I?

Repeat 'til finished.

4 comments:

  1. :) Your draft is so witty and blunt. Mine are a bit more subtle. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. I did the no-outline thing for my first book, and it took seven drafts to get it right. And, yes, the ending changed several times, and I threw out a good number of characters (even some I really liked). So, with book two, I wrote out the plot, what I wanted to hit, where it needed to go. I can't call it an 'outline' since it's not pretty and has no bullet points, but it's as close as I'll get.

    This made me laugh. Thanks!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think outlines save us writers many blank stares that could be turned into useful crafting time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations from кєяo's Book Blog!
    I've chosen you for the One Lovely Blog Award.
    Visit: http://kerosbookblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-lovely-blog-award.html
    ---
    Regards,
    кєяo
    http://kerosbookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete